How many kitchen knives do you really need or use in your everyday simple cooking? If your like me, you have just a few that are multi-purpose. I rarely purchase my knives online, sorry I really like to feel how the handle feels in my hand and the weight and balance. I will however research what others think about a particular knife and I always check my local Marshalls or Home Goods store looking for a deal. I’m in love with kitchen stores and find pleasure in browsing the aisles
A few points about carbon steel vs stainless steel knives.
- Stainless steel kitchen knives are able to resist rust and corrosion a lot better than high carbon blades but the downside is stainless steel is generally softer than high carbon knives. T
- Stainless steel blades do not rust, chip or stain easily. Technically speaking, stainless steel can still rust but it resists better than high carbon knives.
- A big plus is stainless steel knives look good for a very long time. Less time used in maintaining the knife gives you more time to do what it is you like to do.
- In my oponion there is no matching the sharpness that high carbon steel kitchen knives have ,and this allows for better precision in cutting. This is the main reason why professional chefs still prefer high carbon steel for their personal knives.
- High carbon does rust easier and requires a bit more attention than your stainless steel counterpart.
- High carbon steel is harder, it tends to hold the sharp edge longer.
I use both high carbon steel and stainless steel knives. I own a $20 Chef knife that has served me well and a $100 serrated tomatoe knife I can’t live without. Look for high-quality knives and discount stores first and you ight even find one at a thrift store that just needs to be professionally sharpened. Start small and work with your knives, eventually you will find what you really need. Space is at apremium
The knives I use the most often:
- 10-inch chef’s knife
- Paring knive
- Serrated tomato knife
- Long slicing knife
- Sharpening steel
- Chinese Cleaver
What knives do you use most frequently? Please share your comments.